Sequined

How does one get away with pairing a sequined top with a sexy pencil skirt at work? Well, I'm not really sure, because it seems I get away with everything I wear to that place. But this is what I tried, and here's why I think it worked.

The skirt. Though the wiggle shape of the skirt is sexy, its rather staid tweedy fabric and below-the-knee length keep it tame and classic. No way would I have paired this top with a miniskirt or any kind of shiny fabric. It's best to let your super flashy item be the only one in the outfit.

The waistcoat. Denim is a great way to make just about anything look more casual. Not only that, but the structure of the waistcoat gives the outfit a more suited feel; blazers are another great approach for casualizing flashy tops.

The accessories. I kept accessories to a minimum in this outfit and selected jewelry with antiqued finishes instead of polished ones. The shoes have a metallic finish, but even those have a soft sheen and are light on embellishment.

Tune in next week, when I'll feature the first-ever guest post from Mark! As you may well imagine, Mark is quite the stylish fella, and I've asked him to contribute from time to time with some perspectives on men's fashion. I'm certain you'll enjoy the post he's cookin' up. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Waistcoat: Promod
Top: vintage
Skirt: Banana Republic
Shoes: Born